Islamabad: An apparent split was seen in the ranks of the federal government on Tuesday over the Supreme Court’s order about former premier Imran Khan, with Law Minister Azam Nazeer Tarar saying the government would review it while Parliamentary Affairs Minister Tariq Fazal said the government would honour the instructions.
The Supreme Court ordered Imran’s transfer to the private hospital for treatment following a hearing on a medical board report and a report submitted by the Adiala jail superintendent on Monday. The reports recommended more frequent meetings between the PTI founder and his immediate family and wife to help manage his blood pressure and anxiety, while also highlighting concerns about his health.
Tarar described the Supreme Court’s order to transfer Imran to Shifa International Hospital for treatment as being “beyond the legal parameters”, saying the government had decided to approach the court for a review and appropriate modification of the order in accordance with the law.
In a video statement, Tarar said consultations had been held on certain aspects of the order relating to the jail authorities and Islamabad administration, including the direction for Imran to undergo a medical check-up at Shifa International Hospital within two days.
“After reviewing the law, the authorities are of the view that this order does not fall within the legal parameters governing the facilities that can be provided to a convicted person in jail under the law,” he said.He said it had therefore been proposed that the government approach the Supreme Court through a review petition and request an appropriate modification of the order so that Imran could be examined at a tertiary-care government hospital.